Saturday, September 14, 2013

To My Sister, On Her Wedding Day

Cheech! You are getting married! I can't believe this day is already here. I am so excited for you. Marriage is truly the greatest adventure. I know you have been bombarded with advice and others' opinions ever since you got engaged, but I wanted to give you a bit of my own. I'm definitely no expert on marriage, but my relationship with my husband is wonderful, and I want the same for you. 

I hope you notice how much Zac truly adores you. He is completely smitten, and it's so obvious that he loves you more than anything. Zac is so incredibly patient, and I hope that's something you never take for granted. I hope you tell him how much you appreciate him, even when it comes to stupid little things, like taking out the trash, or squishing a spider (there will be countless moments like that, and most of the time, you'll hardly notice them.) And I hope you take time to notice the ways Zac shows his appreciation for you, too. It may not always be in a way you expect, though.

I hope you cherish your marriage. I hope you understand the type of commitment you've made, in becoming a wife, to stand by your husband, and support him. Being wife to a man you truly admire and respect is such a privilege, and you should always act like it. I hope your marriage becomes your most prized possession, and is something you talk about in the highest regard. One of my goals from the very beginning of my marriage has been to never talk badly about my spouse, to anyone, and I think it's something that has taught me to love him more, and to respect him more, even when he's not around. 

Kayla, oh my gosh! You are going to be a WIFE! It has been so cool to watch you grow up. As an older sister, we kind of develop a motherly instinct. I have always been so much more attentive, and worried more about you and Kyle then I ever did Kelli. I know you're the same way with Kyle, so you get it. I've watched you go through and experience so much. You have dealt with so many situations that I don't think I ever could. You are so strong and confident and independent, and seeing you grow into this gorgeous woman has been so much fun. 

The older we get, the closer we have become, and I am so grateful for the friendship we have in our family. It is so important to me to be able to call my sisters and brother my best friends. I feel so protective over you guys, so it has meant so much to me to see my sisters marry guys that care about them and love them. And it's so obvious in Sean and Zac. I don't think those boys will ever understand how much it means to me that they love and adore my sisters. I know we are all going to be picky about the girl that tries to marry our brother!

Anyway, the point is, I am really proud of you. I am proud of the person you're becoming, and I am so excited for you to start this new chapter in your life. You are going to be great at it! Congratulations, Mrs. Morck!

And also? Sorry in advance for being a huge crybaby at your wedding. Love you!

1 comment: