Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Life Changing Moments | How I Got Here

i think it's important that as i try to grow as a person, i look back on my life at the mistakes i've made, the accomplishments i have, and learn from those experiences. i think it's important to acknowledge those turning points in my life, and understand how they helped (and sometimes hindered) get me where i am today. i think about these times in my life, and am ultimately very grateful for each of them. it wasn't always easy, but it has proven to be worth it. this post is about those moments.

the year of school i did at dixie state college | i know i go back to this time in my life a lot, but that's only because it was a huge turning point. the refiners fire worked over my social circle, and i came out of that experience with approximately two friends. thankfully, they were two friends i love dearly and would trust with anything, but it was a rough time. i learned a lot about myself personally, i learned how to be a responsible adult and live on my own and handle finances. i learned a lot in school, obviously, and ultimately learned that my career path at the time was exactly opposite of what i know i need to be doing. the further away i get from this time in my life, the more thankful i am for it. how far i have come! how different my life is now. i probably wouldn't have said this at the time, but it was just what i needed to go through to get me to where i am today, even though my life seemed like a train wreck back then. in a lot of ways, this time in my life led me to my husband.

marrying devin | or even more specifically, just meeting him. devin came into my life and immediately filled it with so much positive energy and motivation, and i truly changed. i am a completely different person, just for knowing him. he breathed new life into me and i began living with a much clearer purpose. devin became my best friend very quickly, and his spot there has not since been replaced. he inspired me in so many ways to do things i wanted to do, was scared to do, or didn't want to have to do. he was supportive of every decision i made, and he carried me through so many hard times. but more than that, he laughed and celebrated with me in the happy times, and it's never stopped. devin and i were divinely matched. there has never been a doubt in my mind that we were placed on each others' paths for a very specific reason, and i couldn't be more thrilled to have married him. when i did, and where i did. he is the man of my dreams.

being a nanny | no job in my lifetime has affected or will affect me the way that being a nanny has. my heart grew so big for those two kids in the short time i spent with them and i think about them every day. i spent so many hours teaching them things and helping them explore, but in the end, i definitely learned more from them than they learned from me. nothing could prepare me better for motherhood some day, and i am so grateful to that family for letting me be a part of them for a little while. those kids were such a great example to me in so many ways. i became so humbled, i gained experience, and i realized which parts of life are most important.

moving to herriman | moving out of utah valley was one of the best things i ever did. devin and i were both born and raised in orem and we love that valley more than either of us are probably willing to admit, but leaving it was exactly what we needed. we feel like we can breathe in salt lake county. we feel like we finally have some space that's our own (even though we moved into a significantly smaller house). i know that the stereotypes in utah valley often get exaggerated, but they are there. they are very present, and it can be really restricting. it's something that i'm sure only people from utah valley can understand. moving to herriman brought so many great opportunities to us, and i would never change it for the world. i'd probably stay forever if i could! it has been everything we needed it to be, and more.

getting a dog | cooper is such a big part of our lives. we didn't hesitate to get a dog at all once we lived somewhere that allowed it, and finding him seemed like the longest and most disappointing process i'd ever gone through. when we drove to the house to look at the puppies, cooper didn't catch either of our attentions right away. he was a little aggressive, and it was hard to tell the difference between him and his brother. we ultimately chose coop for the long, curly hair behind his ears, because we wanted the aussie coat, but as we got back in our car with a tiny puppy snuggled into my lap, it felt exactly right. i felt like i was bringing him to his home. where he was supposed to be. cooper is a child figure to me, and that probably sounds like it should be embarrassing, but it's not. i have always wanted to be a mother, but that isn't in the cards for us right now, and cooper has filled that void so completely. he relies on me the way a child would. he truly needs me, and i need him to need me like that. he's a mama's boy and it melts my heart when it shows. he trusts me and knows me and that sounds like a lot to get our of a relationship between pet and owner, but cooper is my family. he will always be my first baby, and i'm going to be counting on his help when we bring an actual baby around. he has made our lives so much more exciting, and we are exponentially happier by having him here. his personality is so huge, and we absolutely love it. that dog! auh! cooper has changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment