Friday, March 27, 2015

Weeks 9-12

last year, when we started trying for a baby, i started a journal, and have stayed very diligent in writing about everything. i wanted to share a recap of what i remember and wrote down about these earlier weeks, so here are some summaries, week by week.

9 WEEKS | I felt so far along! I had never been this pregnant before, haha! The nausea was still going strong, and I was starting to notice that maybe I had had a pregnancy craving: a roasted chicken casear salad from Paradise Bakery! I had eaten this for lunch at least twice a week for the last month, haha! I'm glad it was a salad, and not like, a giant burger and frieS (although, nothing satisfied me like JCW's a couple times!), but it was funny to notice how picky I had become about food.

And smells! Ooooh my gosh, smells. Everything smells strong. And everything stinks. Some nights, I would slather peppermint oil under my nose just so I could sleep because the smells from dinner in the house were keeping me up, but the oil would make my nose so cold, and that kept me up, too! So we've been lighting a lot of candles at our house lately!

Toward the end of week 9, we told our parents we were expecting! We went on a triple date to dinner, and I showed them the ultrasound photo! Devin's parents were shocked, but my parents had a hunch that's what the night was all about! I thought I had been so sneaky, but they saw right through me! My mom had been onto me for WEEKS! She would question every baby thing I would pin on pinterest (even though I pin baby stuff all the time!), but they were so excited nonetheless. It was so fun to tell them!

We also told our siblings that night and the next morning, and then slowly started telling friends. We also found out Sean and Chloe were having a BOY during this week! Yay!!! So far, we've had mixed guesses about what people think we'll have. All of the gender predictions say I'll have a boy, but almost everyone thinks it will be a girl. I honestly don't have a preference, I'll take either!!!

IMG_6774 
unrelated photo, but we actually bought this onesie several months ago while we were still trying, before the miscarriage, even. Devin is a die hard Pearl Jam fan, and he converted me quickly! 

10 WEEKS | We finally had our first appointment!!! It seemed like it took forever to get to 10 weeks, and I was so excited about finally seeing my doctor, I love her! I didn't even think about the fact that they would be drawing blood until the night before, so I was actually mostly nervous.

My stomach was in knots knowing they would be drawing at least 4 viles of blood. During my miscarriage, I had my blood drawn a LOT. Every few days, they would draw a vile, and at one appointment, they took 2 and I nearly fainted. So I knew 4 would send me over the edge, and even just typing this is making me feel queasy!

We spent the beginning of the appointment talking to the nurse and doctor, asking ridiculous questions that I'm sure she rolled her eyes at, and then we got to hear the heartbeat. It probably took her 3 or 4 minutes to find it, which is a LOOOOOONG time. I was so nervous and scared, I was sure she was going to tell me something was wrong. This was too good to be true! But right as I was about to say something, I heard the little thump thump thump and both Devin and I began smiling ear to ear! Dr. Savage was so funny, giving the baby a hard time for giving her a hard time. (See what I mean by this kid is already a stinker!?) But oooooh my goodness. That heartbeat is the most magical, beautiful sound in the world. She let us listen as long as we wanted and even let Devin record the sound, and I have listened to it multiple times a day ever since. It really is the sweetest most amazing noise! Baby's heartbeat was at 175! So strong! This was the best day ever.

IMG_6833
at 11 weeks, baby was the size of a lime!

11 WEEKS | I started sleeping with a pregnancy pillow. The one I have is boppy brand and comes with 3 parts you can velcro together. I have just been using the long part that goes between my knees and I sleep so much more comfortably with it! It's so soft!

By this time, I was starting to get really uncomfortable. Still nauseous, not feeling like myself, and starting to get depressed about not loving this pregnancy. I wanted so badly to be one of those girls that just beamed about it, loved every minute, and felt so connected to her little babe, but I just wasn't any of those things and it made me really sad and frustrated. I had tried for so long to get here, and not loving it made me feel like I was being ungrateful. I guess it's just different for everyone, but it was hard to feel that way! I held out hope knowing that all this could change by the second trimester!

At this point, I wasn't showing at all, but sitting in a desk all day at work, mixed with bloating, mixed with nausea and a stretching uterus, with my jeans pushing up against it all basically meant jeans were starting to work their way out of my wardrobe and I bought 1 pair of maternity jeans (comfy, but almost accentuate my non-existent bump that's actually just bloat that mostly just makes me look bad...) and 1 pair of maternity leggings. I'm wearing almost all regular clothes, still though (with the exception of those two pants).

This week, Devin was on a looooong school trip, and I hated not having him at home. I also had my first crazy pregnancy dream! My mom and I went on a double date to Ernie's (you know, the little sports deli in Orem?). Her date was Blake Shelton, and mine was Luke Bryan. I don't even like Luke Bryan! And he was even a jerk in my dream! ha! I also had another dream where Devin and I were babysitting Will & Kate's princess baby. Yeah, it was a girl (is she pregnant with a girl right now? I don't even know). Oh, and Kate Middleton wasn't Kate Middleton, Blake Lively was Kate Middleton... she was the sweetest person! haha

I also became pretty convinced my prenatal vitamin is what's been making me feel so sick! I'll be switching next week to something different, and hopefully that will help!  I took this entire week off from Momentum Athlete, just from feeling so sick and not wanting to push it. I decided I'd pick up again in the second trimester, banking on the chance that I'd be feeling better by then!

12 WEEKS | We started getting very anxious to tell people and publicly announce the pregnancy! We had resolved to wait until 13 weeks, knowing I may actually only be 12 weeks, which is when most people announce. It was getting so hard, and we started thinking what could it hurt?! So we posted our announcement on Instagram and Facebook at 12.5 weeks!

The nausea had started to settle down by this point, but it is still there! Our next appointment is on the 31st, and we get to hear the heartbeat again! I am so excited, I loved the last doctor's appointment and they're just going to get more exciting as I get further along! I can't believe we're only a month away from finding out the gender!

Devin has been a DREAM. He has put up with SO much. My moody hormones, my crazy appetite, my sleeplessness, my nausea... he knows how bad smells bother me, so the other night when he wanted to make bacon, he took the griddle outside and plugged it in on the patio to cook it! haha He is so, so excited and always asks how the baby's doing, I love how happy and excited he is.

At first he was calling the baby joey, not as in a boy's name (he's actually convinced it's a girl), but like a baby kangaroo! haha but lately he's been calling the baby a little fox. We have acquired several fox baby things, and plan on decorating the nursery with a Fantastic Mr. Fox theme. Since we will be moving in August, we won't get to do any nursery things until then! I hope I can hold out that long!

I started making a list this week of all the things I'll need for a baby and it is soooo stressful and overwhelming. I was texting all my sisters a million questions to get their opinions and I'm so sure I'm going to forget so many things! Babies require a LOT of things. Big things. Things that only do one thing. So if you have any suggestions on brands, must-have items, anything like that, let me know! I need all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment