Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Weeks 5-8

last year, when we started trying for a baby, i started a journal, and have stayed very diligent in writing about everything. i wanted to share a recap of what i remember and wrote down about these earlier weeks, so here are some summaries, week by week.

5 WEEKS | I was starting to feel nauseous, it wasn't just during certain times in the day, it was pretty much just a dull, constant feeling of being sick to my stomach. My appetite really changed, and I didn't necessarily start having cravings or aversions, it was just mostly that nothing ever sounded good, but when something did, I wanted to eat it!

I was on a bit of a high, and thinking about my little sesame seed sized (!!!) baby got me through the long days at work! I still just couldn't even believe this was happening.

IMG_6422
at 5 weeks, the baby was the size of a sesame seed! i remember being so psyched about that, but now it seems SO tiny!

6 WEEKS | Devin and I started the workout program at the gym called Momentum Athlete. I was excited to have a class to go to, that would keep my active throughout the pregnancy, and was glad Devin would be doing it with me! Our trainer, Cass, was the first person we told about the pregnancy. We needed him to be in the loop so he could make sure I was being safe, and he would have me moderate some of the moves, without letting on to the rest of the class! I was much more confident in working out, knowing my trainer wouldn't let me do anything that could potentially harm the baby, so I'm really glad we told him, even though it was so early.

The nausea was still basically constant, and by this week, I was already fed up with it! I remember one night feeling so sick and so uncomfortable. Nothing would give me any relief, and I was just laying in bed, crying, and Devin gave me a quick blessing. It was short and sweet and made all the difference. It is one of my favorite moments about my pregnancy so far. I feel so blessed to be bringing a baby into a home that is guarded by the priesthood, and a worthy father that can bless both the baby and myself, at a moment's notice. It means so much to me that my kids will have a father that can protect them in ways that I can't.

I also told my boss that I was pregnant this week, because my nausea was keeping me from work! I felt like such a baby, but taking a day off when it got too hard ever couple weeks has been my saving grace! I don't know what I would have done without that extra rest, and she was so understanding, and still has been awesome about it all! Even now, I still wonder how women do this! It's hard to work full time and be pregnant! If anybody has any tips for getting through an 8 hour day, please let me know! It still hasn't gotten much easier!

IMG_6429
cooper has that animal intuition, and he definitely knows i'm pregnant, and has from the very beginning! he's always been a mama's boy, but he's been especially clingy to me ever since the baby. he has also started resting his head on my stomach, which he had never done before, but now he lays like this almost any time i'm laying down. i call it "sibling bonding time" haha he's gonna be a good big brother!

7 WEEKS | I was having a lot of anxiety by this time, as we approached 8 weeks. I miscarried at 8 1/2 weeks with my last pregnancy, and was so, so nervous about that happening again.

This week, one of my best friends, Danica, had her baby. I remember thinking how fast it went by! It seemed like she was just telling me her news and here she was in labor! That gave me tons of motivation and hope that I could make it to October!

Toward the tail end of this week, I had a major sushi craving (not necessarily blaming the pregnancy for this one, because sushi cravings have always come and gone!), but I knew sushi and raw fish consumption were a hot topic with pregnancy. Devin and I went to Kobe, our favorite sushi place, and sat at the bar where the owner, our friend Mike was making sushi. We told him I was pregnant, and craving sushi and he hooked me up with delicious, safe to eat, OBGYN approved rolls! He gave me a lot of information and things to think about when it comes to eating things like sushi while pregnant, and I definitely felt just fine eating a few rolls!

IMG_6608
first ultrasound! that teeny tiny little blur is our baby! at 8 weeks, the baby was the size of a raspberry!

8 WEEKS | This week was Valentine's! We spent the weekend in Logan skiing and it was so much fun! I had my first official morning sickness moment, just a few hours after we got home, and threw up my breakfast from that morning. I haven't thrown up since (mostly just because I absolutely hate throwing up and avoid it at all costs - it's actually pretty impressive, the lengths i'll go to just to avoid puking!), but I do gag and dry heave almost every day (especially when I brush my teeth), so that's really fun!

At this point, we also made a Pregnancy Verification appointment with the Fetal Foto Studio in the Southtowne Mall in Sandy. Chloe had sent me a coupon and for $25 they would do an ultrasound, listen to the heartbeat and give us a few pictures!

IMG_6609
drinking water to try and fill my bladder in the food court - i was so mad and felt so sick!

I have to write this story down because it's so hilarious! We really wanted to do this pregnancy verification appointment because both Devin and I were still having such a hard time believing all of this was really happening! We knew we would feel better after getting an ultrasound. My OBGYN doesn't see patients until 10 weeks, and doesn't do an ultrasound until the gender check, which would be at 16 weeks at the earliest! So we knew $25 was worth it to reassure ourselves that this was real! When you're this early on and you get an ultrasound, they ask you to do in with a full bladder, so they can see your uterus easier, or... something. I knew this because I had an ultrasound the day I found out I was miscarrying in October, and they asked me to come with a full bladder, just like the Fetal Foto Studio did. So I avoided going to the bathroom all morning and drank a bunch of water on our way there.

When we got there, the place looks pretty... sketchy. And tacky, haha it looked like a preschool! I thought it was a little strange, and felt pretty weird about it, but whatever. It was $25, and I wanted to see our baby! After a few minutes the... "doctor" came out. He was wearing jeans and a scrub top and smelled like strong cologne. He said "I am European doctor from Lithuania." - in a very thick accent. He spoke very broken english and it was funny, but also so weird! I laid down on the table and he spent several minutes trying to find the baby, with no luck. He finally pulled my bladder up on the screen and scolded me, saying it wasn't full enough. He kicked us out! hahaha he told us to go to the food court and drink some water and come back in half an hour. I felt so dumb, and all of this was just so weird!

It was only 10:30 but Devin was starving so he got some Japanese food and I got a 32oz ice water and drank it as fast as I could. I was feeling SO sick and the cold water was making me shiver. I was miserable! Finally at 11:00, we went back and he found the baby almost right away. He was also much more pleased with the size of my bladder, which is the giant, dark blob on the left side of the picture, haha! We only got to hear the heartbeat for a few seconds, maybe 4-5 beats, and it was at 140, which he said was perfect for this stage.

He said he was measuring the baby to be only 7 weeks, so exactly 1 week behind. Part of this makes sense, and I'm not going to be surprised if they push my due date back a week, because it did also take 5 days to get a positive pregnancy test! But also... this guy was a weirdo, and I don't even know if he's a real doctor, so what does he know?! I have also heard it's very hard to accurately measure that early, because moving the mouse by just a hair can change the baby's age by a week or so! I guess we'll find out in a few weeks for sure, though!

This appointment was worth it for us, just to be reassured, and to tide us over until our first real appointment, but it was so weird and shady that I don't know that I'd ever go again! It makes for a funny story, though! Oh my gosh, he also said that the baby's face LOOKED LIKE A GIRL.... what. It's face? That tiny blurry blob looks like a girl to you, doc? Alright, crazy...! hahaha! (we told our real doctor this a couple weeks later and she thought it was hilarious! she said she isn't so sure that guy can be trusted with much...haha!)

Also at 8 weeks, I passed the place I was at with my first pregnancy, before I miscarried, which was 8 weeks, 3 days. I spent that entire day on eggshells, just feeling so nervous (even though I knew even if I were to miscarry, the likelihood of it happening at the exact same stage again were pretty slim, i just couldn't help it. It was a hard day.) But I passed it, and things have been so far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment