Friday, January 31, 2014

January Favorites

In 2014, I really wanted to develop new skills and find new hobbies. I know it sounds a little silly, but I've become so interested in make up, and it's almost completely Jaclyn's fault. I love her to death, and I'm pretty sure we're soulmate best friends. I wanted to incorporate a little bit of this new "hobby" into my blog, and I'm excited to share monthly favorite products - not necessarily new products from that month, but the products I find myself reaching for day after day - new or old. So without further ado:

photo 1

Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray | I was always a little skeptical about a makeup setting spray, because I wasn't sure it was worth the money, but I was getting so sick of my make up wearing off after a few hours! It was like I hadn't even put any make up on, and it drove me crazy! I got this spray based on a recommendation from JH (Jaclyn), except I chose all-nighter, whereas she uses Chill. I'm more oily/combination and she is dry. I didn't need anything hydrating, and all-nighter spoke to me, seeing as I was looking specifically for staying power. Stuff works, girl. It's worth every penny, and I just found out they sell a travel size. This is basically the same concept as hairspray, except it's for your face. It even smells like hairspray. It goes on really light, it's not sticky at all, and it dries fast. I love that I can come home from work, look in the mirror, and not even have to touch up my make up before going on to a different activity. It lasts all day. I love it. It doesn't go on shiny, the smell doesn't stick around, and you can't feel it on your face. It's perfect. I don't love the bottle it comes in, because it gets so dirty so fast, but whatever.

Bare Minerals Well-Cared For Conditioning Shampoo for Makeup Brushes | I didn't always fully understand the importance of washing your makeup brushes, but have you ever done it? It makes me want to gag when I see all the product that washes out, and using a clean makeup brush makes a huge difference when you're applying your makeup. I got this shampoo in my starter kit from bare minerals and I use it 3-4 times per month. It doesn't wear your brushes out, it doesn't ruin the quality of them, and it gets everything out! It's very gentle and super easy to use. 

Revlon Matte Lipstick - "Pink Pout" | Because I am "new" to the makeup scene, I have yet to splurge on a brand name lipstick (but I have my eye on quite a few of them), but that's not to say that I'm not totally satisfied with my drugstore options. I have been so surprised at the quality of formula in lipsticks by Maybelline and Revlon, and own several from both! This color is like the nude of pink shades. It goes with everything, and because it's matte, it isn't too… distracting? I don't know. I'm still a little wary of bright attention-getting shades, but this one is subtle and always looks so good. The formula is so creamy and goes on so smooth.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer - "Fair Claire" | I mentioned in a previous post that I had been using Maybelline's dream touch lumi highlighting concealer, and that I thought it might be the reason why I was looking/feeling more oily than usual, and once I switched to the Fit Me, I realized I was right! This concealer comes out on a wand like a lip gloss, and applies so evenly. The coverage is medium, and it does crease a little on me, but if I set it with powder, it usually holds up fine. It does the job, but honestly, I'm holding out for Mac Pro Longwear!

Bare Minerals Warmth | I've been using this bronzer for 2 or 3 years now and I don't think I could ever use anything else! I really love the entire bare minerals line, and this powder is no exception. I love how pigmented it is, because a little goes a very long way. I love that it gives me the control to decide how dark or contoured I want to be. It's so seamless. You can't beat it! The color of this bronzer is really intimidating, but once you get used to using it, you know exactly how much you need and how to apply it to get the color you want.

Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner - "Blackest Black" | Another JH recommendation (which I'm sure a lot of these will be until I start to feel more comfortable shopping for myself, haha). I was so nervous about using a gel liner. It was so intimidating to me, and it looked really intense. I have only been lining my top lids for maybe 2 years now, and I'm horrible at it! I had been using a pencil or coal and it just wasn't lasting, and it was so hard to use! Now, I use an angled eyeliner brush, and this pot of gel liner, and it goes on in one swipe almost perfectly. It is so much easier to apply than a pencil, and the color and thickness of the line is much more consistent. Stuff can be messy, and sometimes it smudges if I do a wing or cat eye, but I'm working on it! I think it's my fault, not the liner's. 

4 comments:

  1. ugh...I'm also a lover of bare minerals! especially warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that other maybelline concealer because, I love the dream lumi, but too have noticed my face getting a little oily lately. Maybe that's the reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^That was Nichole by the way.... haha. I'm at my parents' house and forgot to log out of my mother dear's account!

      Delete
    2. Yeah definitely try Fit Me, I like it way better! It's a totally different formula. It's lighter, but gives better coverage, which is awesome. And it stays matte. I love it!

      Delete