Friday, November 21, 2014

Playing Hooky

Shortly after we found out I was pregnant, we set our first appointment with the Doctor for the first week of November. I told Devin we should just take that whole day off and celebrate - we had tried for 8 months for that baby - it was worth celebrating! Turns out, there were some conflicts for that day, but we picked a day later in the week and both requested that time off of work. After I miscarried, we decided to keep that day set aside. We knew we'd need a mental health day once the physical and emotional pain began to subside, and I'm SO glad we did. We spent the day in salt lake and had the greatest time! It was just what we needed to get through the last leg of the miscarriage. I am a huge supporter of mental health days. Everybody needs them!

IMG_5829 
We started the day at Gourmandise for breakfast. If you know me, and don't know Gourmandise... you don't know me. Ha! We've stopped here on several mornings in the past, but usually just for pastries and hot chocolate to go. I was excited looking at their menu and had such a hard time choosing! I ended up eating this creme brulee oatmeal with creme fraiche, berries and sugared nuts. It. Was. To. Die. For. Ask Devin, I haven't stopped talking about this oatmeal since. I even started putting whipped cream in my oatmeal at home, and it's absolutely delicious but not quite the same, haha! I also got the spinach feta croissant - not a good mix with the oatmeal, but I love savory foods for breakfast. Sometimes, sweet stuff is too much that early in the morning (but that oatmeal with worth it). I've never had a disappointing meal at Gourmandise.

IMG_5840 
Next, we drove a few blocks over to The Leonardo for Body Worlds. I went to this exhibit for a class in high school and I remember being completely fascinated by it. I have never been interested in anything medical. I even close my eyes during surgery scenes on Grey's Anatomy - the stuff grosses me out. Not gonna lie, I had my moments in the exhibit - it's a little overwhelming! BUT, I think anyone who can make it should see this!! It's absolutely amazing. I don't think there are words to describe how interesting and educating this exhibit is. Just go. GO! So the story is... Gunther van Hagens is this German anatomist who invented this process called Plastination in the 70's-80's. It's basically a vacuuming process that preserves the human body to maintain... well, everything. It's FASCINATING. Even if you're kinda grossed out by this kinda stuff like me, it's SO COOL. I'm just amazed that things like this exist. Anyway, he invented Plastination and then started accepting donations (as in, human bodies after people died) and started curating all of these pieces. There are several full bodies, most of them in really cool poses, like sports stances, dance poses, and even layers of muscles folded out (kind of like the picture above) so you can see absolutely everything that goes on inside our bodies. Then there are body parts, limbs, hearts, lungs, brains... everything. And there are also some pieces made completely of blood veins. Perfectly maintained in their form. Augh it's so hard to explain. Google him, or google Body Worlds and you'll get it! It's AMAZING. I had to keep reminding myself during the exhibit that they are all REAL BODIES. REAL PEOPLE. Pretty sure the only thing artificial on them were eyeballs, but some of them still had their own. I just.. it's amazing. Please go see this.

IMG_5831 
We got there a little early and noticed some buses outside and we asked one of the people working there if there were high school students in the exhibit. When she said yes, we decided to kill some time at the other exhibits while we waited for them to go through, haha! We went to the "scary science" and it's definitely made for kids, but it freaked me out! Devin laid in this coffin and I wouldn't even get close! Gives me the heebie-jeebies!

IMG_5839 
After the exhibit, we drove around the city. I told Devin and I had never been up to the Capitol Building so we drove up - it's beautiful! We kept going up behind and made our way to Ensign Peak! We weren't really equipped / didn't want to hike all the way to the top, so this was the Vista something or other just below, but still! That view! Utah has terrible air quality, but it's still gorgeous.

IMG_5838 IMG_5842
We finished our afternoon in Salt Lake with lunch at corner bakery. Devin had been before and loved it so much, so I really wanted to go. I love going to new restaurants because I'm more inclined to try something different, which I did. This salad and sandwich were so good! I wish there was a Corner Bakery further south! Think Kneaders meets Paradise Bakery time infinity with way better food, and that's Corner Bakery. So yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment