Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ashby Family Park City Retreat

By now, you should be well acquainted with the annual trip both mine and Devin's families have been taking to Grey's River for over 20 years (not together, it's just a coincidence). It's a huge tradition, and our favorite trip of the year, every year.

This last year, Devin and I were the only Ashby kids that were able to go, and we only went for part of the trip, which was a major bummer for Devin's parents. Shortly after the trip, they announced they were going to plan another trip for early fall, maybe rent a house or something somewhere close by and we could all go. They planned this months in advance, to insure we would all be there.

And this last weekend, the trip finally came! They rented a gorgeous, huge house right by Deer Valley resort, and we had it all to ourselves the whole weekend. The house was so great! It was so much fun to just relax and hang out with everyone. What a dream. This weekend was so perfect.

Almost immediately, one corner of the dining room table was devoted to a 1000 piece lighthouse jigsaw puzzle that took us almost the entire weekend to finish, with at least one person constantly working on it. It was so much fun! The kitchen was stuffed with yummy snacks and treats (including my personal request of my mother in law's delicious scotcheroos!). They even brought a bunch of diet coke for me ;)

We each had our own bedroom with our own bathroom, and there was a big hot tub on the patio. The house was excluded and private, and since September is a really odd time to be in a ski resort town, the neighborhood was almost vacant. It was such a perfect time of year to be up there. We avoided the crowds, and managed to get some beautiful weather!

We watched movies and played the most hilarious game, telephone pictionary, and I got to see Wayne's World for the first time (I know. I have no idea why it took this long. I am forever in love with Garth after the foxy lady dance. Excellent.) We spent an entire afternoon shopping at the outlets, where Devin and I both got really lucky at the Columbia Outlet (they just bought out Mountain Hardware, one of our favorite gear brands. I found a perfect pair of fleece pants right away and Devin tried on every jacket in the store, and scored on a soft shell at more the 60% off!) We ate at the most delicious mexican food place with the coolest salsa bar. We went to Java Cow with the entire family for hot chocolates one night. And on the last day, we took a drive up guardsman's pass and devin took a few family photos with his tripod (that guy beats the timer so effortlessly every time!) and then he asked chloe to snap a few of him and i - which i'm glad we did!

It was over way too soon. I love this family so much. I've only been an Ashby for a little over 2 years, but it feels like they've been my family forever. I love all those Ashby's so dang much, I can't even put it into words. They are the greatest family, and I'm so glad they are mine. We had to be out of the house by 10:00 on Sunday, and come Monday morning, I woke up to my alarm instead of Ben's squealing giggles and Makayla and Kaden's bickering. It was a pretty sad morning, that Monday! Devin's parents are hoping this can become a new tradition for us all, and I so hope it does. Makayla, who's 11, kept saying if we all pitched in, we could just buy the house and all live together forever! After how great that weekend was, I don't think it's such a bad idea.

I did take a few photos on my phone, but they are such horrible quality. I will probably add some of them in the next Katie, Lately post. Below are the photos we got on Devin's camera - the whole group, devin and I, and the wagstaff babies (I can't refer to them exclusively as my nieces and nephew now, because we've got cute little Ben, too! Why we didn't snap a photo of him, I have no idea. He was all snuggled up in a blanket for the photos and had a pretty rough weekend, but man, is he such a trooper! He was still so smiley and happy despite it all! He's got the cutest personality, and every time I hold him and play with him, it makes me so excited to be a mom some day.

ashbyfamily01 ashbyfamily02 ashbyfamily03 ashbyfamily08 ashbyfamily04 ashbyfamily09 ashbyfamily06

No comments:

Post a Comment